- A customer places an order on website by pressing the ‘Submit Order’ or equivalent button, or perhaps enters their card details using an automatic phone answering service.
- If the order is via a website, the customer’s web browser encrypts the information to be sent between the browser and the merchant’s webserver. In between other methods, this may be done via SSL( Secure Socket Laye r) encryption. The payment gateway may allow transaction data to be sent directly from the customer’s browser to the gateway, bypassing the merchant’s systems. This reduces the merchant’s Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard ( PCI DSS ) compliance obligations without redirecting the customer away from the website.
- The merchant then forwards the transaction details to their payment gateway. This is another ( SSL ) encrypted connection to the payment server hosted by the payment gateway.
- The payment gateway converts the message from XML to ISO 8583or a variant message format ( format understood by EFT Switches ) and then forwards the transaction information to the payment processor used by the merchant’s acquiring bank.
- The payment processorforwards the transaction information to the card association ( I.e.: Visa/MasterCard/American Express ). If an American Express or Discover Card was used, then the card association also acts as the issuing bank and directly provides a response of approved or declined to the payment gateway. Otherwise [e.g.: MasterCard or Visa card was used], the card association routes the transaction to the correct card issuing bank.
- The credit card issuing bank receives the authorization request, verifies the credit or debit available and then sends a response back to the processor ( via the same process as the request for authorization ) with a response code ( I.e.:: approved, denied ). In addition to communicating the fate of the authorization request, the response code is also used to define the reason why the transaction failed ( I.e.: insufficient funds, or bank link not available ). Meanwhile, the credit card issuer holds an authorization associated with that merchant and consumer for the approved amount. This can impact the consumer’s ability to spend further ( because it reduces the line of credit available or it puts a hold on a portion of the funds in a debit account ).
- The processor forwards the authorization response to the payment gateway
- The payment gateway receives the response, and forwards it on to the website (or whatever interface was used to process the payment ) where it is interpreted as a relevant response then relayed back to the merchant and cardholder. This is known as the Authorization or “Auth”
- The entire process typically takes 2–3 seconds.
- The merchant then fulfills the order and the above process can be repeated but this time to “Clear” the authorization by consummating the transaction. Typically, the ” Clear ” is initiated only after the merchant has fulfilled the transaction ( I.e.: shipped the order ). This results in the issuing bank ‘clearing’ the ‘auth’ ( i.e.: moves auth-hold to a debit ) and prepares them to settle with the merchant acquiring bank.
- The merchant submits all their approved authorizations, in a ” batch ” ( end of the day ), to their acquiring bankfor settlement via its processor. This typically reduces or “Clears” the corresponding “Auth” if it has not been explicitly “Cleared”.
- The acquiring bank makes the batch settlement request of the credit card issuer.
- The credit card issuer makes a settlement payment to the acquiring bank (the next day in most cases )
- The acquiring banksubsequently deposits the total of the approved funds into the merchant’s nominated account ( the same day or next day ). This could be an account with the acquiring bank if the merchant does their banking with the same bank, or an account with another bank.
- The entire process from authorization to settlement to funding typically takes 3 days.
Many payment gateways also provide tools to automatically screen orders for fraud and calculate tax in real time prior to the authorization request being sent to the processor. Tools to detect fraud include geolocation, velocity pattern analysis, OFAC list lookups, ‘black-list’ lookups, delivery address verification, computer finger printing technology, identity morphing detection, and basic AVS checks.
Edited by Ariasun editorial board
for ariasun products online shopping ,click here.
Web site ariasuniweb net AriasuniPortal ariasuni Health Journal Family physician Medical Health </ em> Ariasan Elcomp </ em> Elcomp Exhibition </ em> Online Elcomp </ em> Therapy Health Electronics Tourism Aryans City Net Soocom Ariasun Soopak Ariasun medipharma Advertisement Reader The requirements Employment Currency Exchange Currency Coin Gold < em> car property land building stock exchange bank Government People Leader Assembly Quran Book Student University Knowledge base Exercise Sima Sound Religion < / em> Life People Hope Work Dread Unemployment youth exercise information technology computer < / em> Hardware Software Computer Server Virtual Tablet < / em> Mobile Zanjan Tehran Iran Germany Greece Georgia Georgia Dubai World Air Space < em> Country Product Finder AriaSun International Group Online Store WikiPharma AriaSun Production Industrial Operations Equip Installation & Investment Air Space International Trading Research Industrial Business Medical Dummy Undoubtedly Health Drug Therapy Health Information Technology & Computer Airlines Tourism Logo Design Sticker Design Advertising Campaign Science & Research News </em > Political News Economic Trade International Stock Market News Medical Tourism & Cultural Heritage Aeronautics & Tourism Sport & Olympic Domain and University The Quran Arts & Culture Industry & Technology Accidents Ladies Currency and Gold Coins Flats Rip’s Web Site Kandasheh Ahwaz Web Site Foot Website Abuse Clean Sean Cinere Live Nature Whats Punababy Mussels Clinic Radarians Man AriaSun Preddies Reservations < Em> Tourists Unemployment youth exercise CityNet PakSaman SooComAriaSun SooPakAriaSun MediPharma AriaSun Kalayab AriaSunBazar AriaSunBazar Medeca MediKala Artists Group AriaSunGroup Web site designing RP Pilgrimage website Historical tours website Web Resident Resorts site Tours website The Pana The Natural Tours Website Kandesheh Ahwaz The Scientific Tour Website Oil & Refineries The Sports Tour Website Gas The Web Tours Water Exposure Tour Site Travel Tour Website Travel Tours The Last-minute Tours Site Tours of the last minute Web-site of the local tours Recreation site Internal tours site Pilgrimage Fun Places Design Web Design City Net Designing a Holiday Resort Pilgrimage Pilgrimage Website designing pilgrimage City Net Pilgrimage Travel </em > Designing Travel Planner Website Designing Travel Places Historic Places Designing Historic Places Historic Places Design Residences Residential Residential Design Residential Residential Design Cultural Places Designing a Web Site for Cultural Places Designing Cultural Places Natural Places Natural Places Designing a natural site Designing a natural website scientific Designing for scientific Designing for scientific sports sports designing sports < Em> Sports Facilities Design Sports Facilities Sport Sport Designing a Sports Center for Extreme Sports Creating places Designing for Exhibition Exhibit places Designing Exhibit Places Designing Exposure Website Web Recreation Recreation Web Design Recreational tours The design of the tourist resorts Pilgrimage Pilgrimage Pilgrimage Pilgrimage Pilgrimage Tours Historic Tours Tour Design Historic Tours Web Tour Design Historical Tours Residential Tours Resorts Tour Design Residential Tour Website Design Cultural Design Cultural Tour Site Cultural Tour Website Natural Designing Natural Tours Designing Natural Tours Web Site Science Designing Scientific Tours Designing Sci-Fi Web Site Designing a Sports Tour Designing a Sports Tour Website Designing a Tours Tour Designing a Touring Web Site Exhibit Exhibit Tour Travel Designing Tours Tour The Last Moment Toure The Last Moment Designing the Last Minute Tours Internal Tours Designing Local Tours Designing a Web Site Tour </em > Foreign Tours Designing a Tours Site Designing a Website for Tours Coastal Work < em> Designing the Coast Guided Tour Urban Designing Urban Tours Urban Touring Sights < Em> Sightseeing Design Sightseeing Web Site Mountaineering Sailing Designing Sailing Tours < Em> Website Designing Sailing Tours Aviation Designing Tours Cruising Cruising ships Creating cruise ship cruises Creating Cruise Cruises Inbound Flights Designing Inbound Flights Foreign Flights Designing a Foreign Airmail Web site Last Minute Flights Web Design Last Minute Deals cheap Website Design Cheap Flights Online Shopping Online Sales Online Selling Website Design Online Shopping Online Store Online Store Design Online Tickets Design an Online Ticket Internet Designing a Web Store Internet Tickets Designing an Internet Ticket parscoders